What Should I Do if I’m Injured in a Shopping Mall?

Serving Maryland, Washington D.C. & Virginia

Start Your Free Consultation
shopping mall

If you get injured in a shopping mall, it can be tough to figure out what to do next. That is why you should talk to a Prince George’s County slip and fall lawyer from our firm. We can tell you more about your options and whether or not you may be eligible for compensation.

What Are Some Common Shopping Mall Hazards?

There are many potential hazards in your local shopping mall, and it’s someone’s responsibility to deal with those hazards or at least warn patrons about them. They should be held accountable when someone is injured by:

  • Slippery floors
  • Falling merchandise
  • Broken escalators or elevators
  • Poorly lit parking lots, walkways, or stairwells
  • Broken or missing banisters
  • Uneven walking surfaces

What Are the Typical Injuries in a Shopping Mall Accident?

Some are lucky enough to walk away with minor scrapes and bruises, but many people get seriously injured in shopping mall accidents. People who slip and fall can break bones or hit their heads. Something can fall on someone and cause a traumatic brain injury. Many of these injuries can result in expensive medical bills and missed work.

When Should I Sue for Compensation?

If you are staring at a pile of hospital bills and you are confident that someone else’s negligence caused your injuries, you should pursue damages. A lawyer can help you build a case and name the liable parties. This could be the property owner in charge of the entire shopping mall. It could also be the owner of a store or a company that’s responsible for maintaining the escalators. If anyone contributed to your accident, we will do everything that we can to hold them accountable.

How Long Do I Have to Sue?

It depends on where the accident happens. Each state and Washington, D.C. have their own rules about how long you can wait to pursue legal action after an accident. Virginia gives you two years to act. Maryland and D.C. give you three years.

We recommend acting quickly though. That can allow your attorney to talk to witnesses when their memories are still fresh and track down evidence like surveillance footage. Plus, the sooner you act, the sooner you can secure compensation.

Do I Need an Attorney?

An experienced premises liability attorney from our firm can focus on the legal process and all that paperwork for you while you focus on your recovery. They can gather evidence, talk to witnesses, and determine who should be held liable in your personal injury suit. They can also keep you updated on your case and answer any questions that you have. We cannot make a promise about any particular outcome, but we can tell you that we will advocate for you at every turn.

Talk to a Lawyer Today

If you are ready to make a personal injury claim, contact McCarthy, Winkelman, Mester & Offutt, L.L.P. and schedule your free consultation. We can go over the specifics of your case and tell you more about what we can do to help you secure the compensation that you deserve.


car accident claim

What Are the Risks of Settling a Car Accident Claim Too Quickly?

Settling a car accident claim too quickly is often a mistake. Our lawyers can help you figure out if there are better options.

Read More
car accident case lawyer

How Can a Lawyer Help My Car Accident Case?

Pursuing a car accident case on your own can be tough. A lawyer from our firm can help you build the strongest possible case.

Read More
shopping mall

What Should I Do if I’m Injured in a Shopping Mall?

A shopping mall can be a dangerous place full of slipping and tripping hazards. If you get hurt, our lawyers may be able to help.

Read More