What Is an Attractive Nuisance in Maryland?

Serving Maryland, Washington D.C. & Virginia

Start Your Free Consultation
child walking down a street

One of the most beautiful things about childhood is curiosity and wonder about the world. Though this is essential to learning, creativity, and development, it can also lead to accidents and injuries. As such, people have an innate duty under the law to protect children. If someone has an attractive nuisance on their property and does not take steps to mitigate the risk of injury, your child may be injured. If this is the case, you can likely pursue legal action with the assistance of an experienced Prince George’s County personal injury attorney. Keep reading to learn more.

What Constitutes an Attractive Nuisance?

Generally, an attractive nuisance is something that is enticing to a child with no security measures in place to mitigate the risk of damage. These are often man-made fixtures that include:

  • Swimming pools
  • Treehouses
  • Trampolines
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Old appliances
  • Construction equipment
  • Lawn mowers

Generally, these are enticing to children who are unfamiliar with the dangers associated with interacting with them. As such, property owners with these fixtures on their land should assume it’s possible for a child to gain access to their land and must take steps to reduce the risks associated. This includes placing a fence around their property or locking equipment away when not in use.

Trespassers often do not have the ability to file a lawsuit against a property owner when they are injured because the trespasser was there without permission. However, children have additional protections under the law as they often do not have the maturity to understand that a hazard could be dangerous.

Can I Pursue Justice if My Child Is Hurt Because of a Negligent Property Owner?

If your child is hurt by a negligent property owner who did not take steps to mitigate damage, it’s in your best interest to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible to help you pursue compensation for any injuries your child experienced.

You may be able to recover economic damages, which include the direct cost associated with things like hospital stays, medical equipment, and time off of work spent caring for your child. It’s also possible to pursue non-economic damages, which include pain and suffering, humiliation, and loss of enjoyment of life.

It’s essential to ensure you take your child to a doctor as soon as possible to receive treatment for the injuries they’ve suffered. Not only does this ensure they receive the care they need, but it also helps to ensure the defense cannot hold this against you.

At McCarthy, Winkelman, Mester & Offutt, we understand how devastating these injuries can be. As such, our dedicated legal team is ready to fight for the justice you and your child deserve at the hands of a negligent property owner. Contact us today to learn how we can help you.


IV bag hanging from rack

How Can I Prove a Maryland Property Owner Knew About Dangerous Property Conditions?

When a negligent property owner is the reason you are hurt, you must know how to prove they were aware of the dangerous property conditions.

Read More
pothole in road

Who Is Responsible for Injures Caused By Dangerous Road Conditions in Maryland?

If injured as a result of dangerous road conditions, understanding who can be held liable for damages is vital. Read on to learn more.

Read More
broken sidewalk

Can I Sue the City for an Unsafe Sidewalk?

Whether you’re walking your dog or enjoying the weather, walking outside is a great way to get active and get fresh air. As such, sidewalks are essential to keeping pedestrians safe from passing vehicles. However, when improperly maintained, these sidewalks can pose additional risks to those traveling by foot. If you are injured due to […]

Read More