Speeding can cause serious damage. If you were injured as a result of a speeder, you may be entitled to financial compensation for the burdens you have sustained as a result. Do not wait to reach out to our firm today to discuss the details of your case and your options. Our Prince George’s County auto accident lawyer is on your side no matter what.
What are the dangers of speeding?
Within the past two decades, one-third of all motor vehicle fatalities have been directly linked to speeding. Even more specifically, speeders were a contributing factor in 26% of all traffic fatalities in 2019.
It is critical to understand that speed also impacts your safety even when you are going the speed limit but excessively fast for road conditions, for instance during bad weather, when a road is under repair, or in a place at night that is not sufficiently lit.
Speeding not only puts the speeder in danger but also others on the road, including law enforcement officers. It is essential that you understand the gravity of speeding. If you were hurt as a result of a speeding driver, you may be qualified to obtain financial compensation for your burdens. Do not wait to reach out to our firm today to discuss the details of your case and your legal options.
What can result from speeding?
There is a motivation behind why speeding is against the law. Because of this, penalties can be severe and include the following:
- Greater potential for loss of vehicle control;
- Reduced effectiveness of occupant protection equipment;
- Increased degree of crash severity leading to more severe injuries;
- Increased stopping distance after the driver perceives a danger;
- Economic implications of a speed-related crash; and
- Increased fuel consumption/cost.
What steps should I take if there is a speeder/aggressive driver on the road?
Not only is the person speeding at risk, but also other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists are in danger too. If you are on the road with a speeder, it is critical that you keep in mind the following steps to best defend yourself on the road:
- If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, move over and let them.
- Adjust your driving as you see fit. Speeding is linked to aggressive driving. If a speeder is tailgating you or trying to engage you in risky driving, it is important that you do what you can to safely move your vehicle out of the way.
- Be sure to provide speeding drivers with plenty of space. Speeding drivers may lose control of their vehicles more easily.
- Call the police if you think a driver is following you or harassing you.
Contact Our Firm
At McCarthy, Winkelman, Mester & Offutt, L.L.P., our legal team has a strong focus on litigation that seeks just and fair compensation for victims of another party’s negligence. If you need a Prince George’s County personal injury lawyer that handles cases in Maryland, Washington D.C. or Virginia, our firm has the resources and knowledge needed to take a case as far as necessary, including to the U.S. Supreme Court. If you suffered an injury or loss because of another person’s negligence, contact us today.