What Are the Most Common Injuries in the Construction Industry?

Serving Maryland, Washington D.C. & Virginia

Start Your Free Consultation
co-worker helping injured employee

If you work in the construction industry, you have a higher chance of getting hurt on the job compared to many other workers. If you do get injured, there are systems in place that can pay out benefits to help you get back on your feet. Sometimes things don’t go the worker’s way though, and this is when they may want the assistance of a Prince George’s County construction accident lawyer from our firm.

What Are Some Common Injuries in Construction?

Job sites can have all sorts of hazards. People can fall from high places, debris can hit workers in the head, and there may even be worries about dangerous chemicals or fire. This is why proper safety training and the distribution of safety equipment are necessities, but even with proper precautions a worker can easily end up with injuries like:

  • Cuts and lacerations
  • Broken bones
  • Internal bleeding
  • Burns
  • Shocks from electricity
  • Amputated limbs
  • Traumatic brain injuries and concussions
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Damage to vision and hearing

If you get hurt on the job, you should receive compensation.

What Should I Do After Getting Injured at a Construction Job?

In most cases like this, a worker would be eligible for workers’ compensation. You would need to report your injury to your employer right away though, and then you need to get medical care as soon as possible. Your employer then must report your injury to their insurance company. After a review, that insurance company should pay you benefits.

What Kinds of Damages Can I Recieve?

Workers’ compensation will reimburse you for some medical expenses and lost pay. You cannot receive compensation for things like pain and suffering though. This is only possible if you file a third-party injury claim.

This is an option when someone else’s negligence contributed to your injury. Let’s say that you were working in a high place and your safety harness malfunctioned, causing you to fall. You should be eligible for workers’ compensation, but you can also sue that safety harness manufacturer for damages. This can include compensation for things like mental anguish and psychological trauma, issues that do not get addressed with workers’ comp.

Should I Hire a Lawyer?

We do recommend hiring a lawyer if you are unfamiliar with the workers’ comp system. There are important deadlines to be aware of and your claim could get denied for a variety of reasons. We can help you appeal.

If you decide to file a third-party injury claim, you should know that it can be tough to prove someone else’s negligence. You should get one of our lawyers to help you gather evidence and build that case.

Consult With Our Attorneys

If you are seeking compensation after a work injury, we may be able to help. Contact McCarthy, Winkelman & Mester, L.L.P. to schedule a free consultation. We can evaluate your case and tell you more about your options.


motorcycle in sunset

How Can Alcohol and Drugs Cause Motorcycle Accidents?

Alcohol and drugs can contribute to motorcycle accidents and other kinds of crashes that can leave behind devastating injuries.

Read More
mechanic under the hood

Can I Sue for Property Damage After a Car Accident?

If you get into a car crash and someone else is to blame, you can sue them over property damage, like the repair costs for your car.

Read More
co-worker helping injured employee

What Are the Most Common Injuries in the Construction Industry?

Injuries are common in the construction industry, so you should know how you can get compensation after you get hurt on the job.

Read More