What Are My Legal Options if I Suspect Nursing Home Negligence?

Serving Maryland, Washington D.C. & Virginia

Start Your Free Consultation

Our firm understands the heartbreak a family faces when they find out their loved one has faced nursing home abuse. If you are in this unfortunate situation, do not wait to reach out to our firm today to speak with a Prince George’s County nursing home neglect lawyer. We are here to ensure you and your loved one is safe.

What are the different signs of nursing home negligence?

Suspecting that your loved one is a victim of nursing home neglect or abuse is devastating. However, it is important to note that you have options and there are steps that you should take to ensure your loved one is safe. Below are some of the many signs to look out for if you have any suspicions. They include the following:

  • Bedsores
  • Signs of fear when certain aides enter the room
  • Complaints of distress or unsafe conditions
  • Possessions or cash going missing
  • Unexplained bruises or other injuries
  • Sudden personality changes
  • Arguments between staff and patients
  • Unclean food/water
  • Other unsafe living conditions
  • Reporting a Bad Nursing Home

If you have noted any of the above, it is in your best interest to reach out to our firm today to take action. Our firm can analyze the facts of your case and do whatever it takes to make sure your loved one is protected and safe.

What steps should I take if my loved one is facing nursing home abuse/neglect?

If your loved one was injured because of nursing home negligence/abuse, you should take a number of different steps to promote their safety and ensure that the liable parties are brought to justice. After suspecting that your loved one is being harmed in his or her nursing home, you should take the following measures:

  • Take photos or videos of unsafe nursing home conditions.
  • Report the incident(s) of abuse to nursing home ownership/staff.
  • If you believe your loved one is in imminent danger, you should call the police, who can help make sure your loved one obtains medical care and is transported to a safe place.
  • Ask any witnesses for their contact information.
  • Reach out to Maryland’s Office of Health Care Quality at 1-877-402-820. The MOHQ is a division of the state’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and if you report unsafe nursing home conditions to them, they should launch an investigation right away.
  • Contact McCarthy, Winkelman, Mester & Offutt, L.L.P. Our legal team can take the necessary steps to hold the right parties accountable for their actions. Give us a call today. We are prepared to fight for you and your family. We look forward to hearing from you.

Contact Our Firm

If you suffered an injury or loss because of another person’s negligence, contact McCarthy, Winkelman, Mester & Offutt, L.L.P. today.


soft tissue injury

What is a soft tissue injury?

Have you suffered a soft tissue injury due to someone else's negligence? Read this blog to learn more about soft tissue injuries.

Read More
man with broken arm working at desk with paper in hand

Can I appeal a worker’s compensation award in Maryland?

Are you looking to appeal a workers' compensation award? Read on and contact our adept legal team to learn when you can challenge an award.

Read More
insurance adjuster car accident

How do insurance companies determine fault in a car accident in Maryland?

This blog explores how insurance companies determine fault in a car accident. Please read on to learn what factors they consider.

Read More