Department store accidents can cause serious injury. If you were hurt in one, you will need to retain the services of an experienced Prince George’s County slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible.
How do department store accidents occur in Maryland?
Department store accidents can happen in a variety of different ways. However, the bulk of these injuries is a direct result of a store owner and/or employee negligence. Some examples of negligence that can result in a department store injury include the following:
- Falling merchandise from shelves
- Liquids on bathroom floors
- Spills left uncleaned
- Poorly placed floor mats
- Defective escalators, elevators, or other equipment used in the store
- Poorly lit parking lots
- Lack of security
To learn more about department store accidents, reach out to our skilled personal injury attorneys today.
What steps should I take after a department store accident?
Store owners and employees are responsible for ensuring that their properties are made safe to prevent customer injuries. Store owners and employees can do this by conducting periodic checks of the property to ensure that there are no dangerous conditions present. If these routine inspections are not made, and an injury occurs as a result, the store owner and employees may be held liable for negligence. If you are in this situation, you will want to take the following steps:
- Call 911. The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, take witness statements, and more.
- Take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses. In some cases, witness testimony can be critical to a premises liability claim.
- Seek medical attention directly after your accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while also providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Medical documents can play a very important role in a personal injury case.
- Obtain the services of an experienced Prince George’s County slip and fall lawyer to help you gather more evidence, including police reports and security camera footage.
Do not wait to reach out to our firm today if you were injured in a department store accident. Our legal team is on your side.
Contact Our Firm
At McCarthy, Winkelman, Mester & Offutt, L.L.P., our legal team has a strong focus on litigation that seeks just and fair compensation for victims of another party’s negligence. If you need a Prince George’s County personal injury lawyer that handles cases in Maryland, Washington D.C., or Virginia, our firm has the resources and knowledge needed to take a case as far as necessary, including to the U.S. Supreme Court. If you suffered an injury or loss because of another person’s negligence, contact us today.